Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Independent Shakespeare at Barnsdall Park


One of the things that's frustrating about being a dilettante is that when I attempt serious criticism, my observations usually have little depth. So I'll just have to resort to comparison instead.

I've seen a couple of lavish Shakespearian productions at the Ahmanson; the Independent Shakespeare productions on their rickety outdoor stage are an improvement. I enjoyed Sir Ian McKellen on stage in Acting Shakespeare; David Melville of Independent Shakespeare could hold his own on the same stage. Melissa Chalsma, who is a wonderful actress and director, is also on my short-list of most beautiful women. And it is a short list.

Their productions are not community theatre pick-up games. All of the actors are professional and excellent. An L.A. Times reviewer raved, and I mean raved, about their current production of As You Like It. Other reviews are posted here.

You can attend either Hamlet or As You Like It every Friday, Saturday and Sunday at 7:30 through August 13. It's free of course, but bring money anyway. You'll most likely want to make a donation. And bring a coat or blanket; it can get cold up on the hill, even in July and August.

And if you think you don't like Shakespeare, you're wrong. Go.